November 15, 2009

I hate coffee, have no tables in my apartment, but coffee table books...


I've had an obsession with coffee table books ever since working at Ralph Lauren and flipping through their Assouline books on slow days, hours, or moments. I've compiled quite the impressive collection, which I now have to seasonally change out to keep from neglecting some. While on the subway one evening, I saw a young woman with a large book in her hands. I instinctively honed in on it, and proceeded to fall in love with a book simply for it's cover. Wrong on the ethical level, but for a coffee table book, the facade is so essential. The title alone had me hooked, A Cabinet of Natural Curiosities, so much more interesting and whimsical than any other book I'd seen of late, I loved that it seemed to take natural science and add a creative, mildly eccentric tone. The title, compiled with the coral motif, harkened back to 3 of my grandmothers antique sea life prints that I just had reframed and hung in my bedroom, which ignited a curiosity in me for old nature prints. This book seems to embody that, though I've never cracked the cover, I read the synopsis and the facade seems to match the inside perfectly. Now I'm waiting with baited breath for it to arrive, begrudgingly not entering the shop in my neighborhood entirely devoted to books of the coffee table nature, and thanking toby for not letting me walk into Sothebys (on my corner, the teasing temptress!) to explore their current Assouline collection. One has to have some restraint with these collections, and currently, the only table in my apartment only has room for one more. I suppose I'll have to get a bigger table.

No comments:

Post a Comment