July 30, 2009

Stripes, Bridging the ages.


I've developed a preoccupation with stripes as of late. I can't conclude why, but I'm guessing that I have so much pattern in my wardrobe that I need to tone it down but keep the love alive, mature it a bit. One can only wear so many patterns before it becomes repetitive, and while I have enough patterned maxi-dresses to wear one per day of the week if not more, I've found that if you wear patterns too much, they get all muddied up, and in the end are best kept to an every-once-in-a-while rotation, that is until you're too old for them.

Stripes on the other hand never go out of style, and are never counted out of an age range. Exhibit A, above. This outfit is wonderful, I want to meet this man and give him a medal of fashionable honor. Not only has he utilized my favorite summer color combo, he also accomplished the great feat of putting different stripes together and making it work, and he totes-mcgotes looks out of this world. I want to dress my 2 year old in this on the fourth of july (when I have a two year old, that is) and I want to see my future husband in it when we're 70, having cocktails at the sunset beach bar on Shelter Island (hands down, favorite bar of all time, no competition possible). It is so Great Gatsby to me. If I could build a life based on this outfit, I would. Navy and white are hands down my favorite summer colors and he just combined both of my loves into such an old school, gutsy-prep outfit. Thank you Sartorialist, again, for inspiring me to never have a day of being fashionably lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment