July 14, 2009

Tomayto, Tomahto


I have to say, as a self proclaimed foodie, that there is little in this world that I find more disappointing than a sub-par tomato.

In other news, I had my first home-made (by me) pizza experience the other day, and I feel the need to share (because I haven't posted nearly enough today). Chris (the boyfriend), Nick (the boyfriends little broseph) and I decided to make our own pizza's last friday. Nick got the dough from a local pizzaria (one must love long islands devotion to italian) and Chris and I set out to the epicure to get ingredients. So, with dough assitance from my beloved meatball parmigian (adj. used to describe an over 35, overweight italian man, but in this case, my svelt italian boyfriend with the appetite of a meatball parmigian) I did a spin on Daniel Boulud's flatbread recipe I had while in Vegas for a close friends 21st. Rarely do words escape me, and whole-heartedly do I try to avoid saying it, but no words other than "oh my GOD" could be conjured up and escape my mouth.

So, as you may be wondering, here it is:


I adore goat cheese, it's just one of those addictions, I encorporate and order it when at all possible, so why not shmear it on some pizza? Thus, while sauteeing sweet onions (with razorblade garlic thrown in at the last moment), I crisped the dough in the oven for a minute or two and after it came out and cooled, a dainty layer of goat cheese went on, then a sprinkle of minced rosemary, a thin layer of fresh mozarella, the sauteed onions atop it all which I placed in a meticulously even layer (chris started to get frustrated over how precise I insisted on being about it) and then, the closer: a drizzle of sage infused olive oil. Popped it into the oven, and far too long later, it came out gloriously. I said it then (after I got over the initial shock), and I'll say it again now, it was the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. The boys may have been content with their simple margherita pizza's (The Amato men are not known for their culinary exploration, at least not beyond varying levels of garlic, garlic powder and garlic salt), but I'm not sure I can go back to the basics after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment